Wednesday 18 May 2016

YOLO4Dandolo

 Today I officially am done with my finals, the last being history (Along with a little geography test for those that did not choose for geography to be their final, which I turned in early and got a 7/10 on).

 I did not actually have a clue on what I was supposed to answer on half the questions, because of all the history classes I missed for the English olympiad, but I knew enough history (and Romanian) to say little to nothing with a lot of words. When it came to describing the fourth crusade all I knew was that the Venetians sacked Constantinople and I ended up writing something that resembled the ramblings of some angry old greek man. Hopefully I'm not getting a grade below 7/10.

 Another noteworthy thing that happened today is that during Romanian class, my teacher called me over to tell me that she was actually impressed with what I've written on my final and appreciated that I've done such a good despite how uninterested I appear in classes. If you're wondering what I could have possibly written that impressed her in such a way, we were given some fragment of a novella by a famous Romanian author which concerned a person philosophizing about how the world is actually an illusion - Or something along those lines. I started describing how his line of thought is analogous to Solipsist thinking, etc. etc.

 We had some homework for today which she didn't check. It was supposed to be an argumentative essay on anything, and I decided to do one arguing how the internet has been by far one of the most important technological milestones of humanity, but the small word limit made me have to butcher the point (Not that I'm complaining about less homework).

 But this essay made me realize something. In one of the points I made - Increased ease of communications - I mentioned how 150 years ago the transatlantic telegraph line took 16 hours to transport Queen Victoria's message to the US. I recalled how I learned this from a documentary, and I used to watch a ton of documentaries as a kid - I ate that all up. And this is the problem - I don't learn anymore*. I've even stopped reading. It's obvious this can't do any longer; So I decided to set myself a resolution that I must watch at least a 1-hour-long documentary a day and at least spend one hour reading something that's not on a computer screen.

 It's time I light up my night.



And light up my night
There's potential that this darkness can't hide
There are the embers of fire that's gone out
But I can still feel the heat on my skin
And this mess I'm in, where I
Maybe I
Can still make it right
Maybe I can bring back my light
___


 * - Not as much as I feel I should, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment