Monday 5 September 2016

A lovely streak of poor financial decisions

 Yesterday was not a good day for the spare change I had left in my paysafe codes.

 The first hit came when Steam announced me that Paradox games were on sale. Eager to get my blobbing fix under different guises, I bought Crusader Kings II and Victoria 2 (Hearts of Iron 4 had a smaller discount and I'm not that much of a WWII enthusiast to justify the expense). I've got a basic idea of how to play the former (Or what I'm allowed to in the very least. Literally over half the map requires DLC for the nations situated therein to be played. Thanks Johan).

 And Victoria 2 fails to boot up. It loads, then jumps to the menu, before minimizing and freezing my computer - I can still move my mouse around (which keeps the shape it would have when it navigates the game screen) but my clicks don't register. I might have to get a refund but then I will never become a blobber pro if I don't test my mettle with final boss of grand strategy gaming.

 The second came when Dota2 just had a thematic treasure released which contained Warhammer Fantasy themed items. WHF holds a special place in my heart because it was not only one of the first fantasy settings I read and "researched" about in moderate depth but also one of the first things I read on 1d4chan, which eventually got me to browse /tg/ which had as a consequence me becoming the master memer that I am today.

 One treasure was 2.20 euros. Each treasure, when opened, had a chance of giving the opener one of about eight common rarity cosmetic sets or an even smaller chance of containing a rare or very rare skin.

 Two skins caught my eye - one for the sniper character, which without a skin looks like a pretty ugly gnome. With that skin on he looked like a Warhammer dwarf, which were one of the coolest factions in an already cool setting. There was another skin for a character that operated a small gyrocopter that would change the look of the vehicle to a dwarven-themed model. A third which I did not notice from the start was a set of items that changed the look of a dragon character which was, at least in comparison to the other sets, aesthetically appealing.

 I initially bought three treasures - which were 6.60 euros. I got none of the skins I wanted, and I hesitantly bought another three. Another 6.60 euros. I didn't get the skins I wanted.

 And now I have six skins which are chaos and orc (Some of the primary antagonists of the Warhammer world) themed skins. If I'm lucky I could find somebody that would be willing to trade me the three skins I want for two of my skins each, which shouldn't be THAT hard.

 I also found out that the skins/sets become tradeable and sellable on the 11th of September*. A good ramification of this, is that because Steam vends items and games at prices equal in amount of currency but not in value (Which means, if I purchase an item for 10 euros, an American could purchase that item for 10 dollars) some Brazillian that's built his billion-dollar livelihood on buying items for what would translate to two British pence and selling them to westerners for half the price they go by will put up the skins I want for cheap, so I no longer have to bust another 6.60 euros to get them. The bad news is that this means I won't be able to sell my skins without being in red ink. It would've been better if I knew this beforehand, as I thought the sets would not be able to be acquired without buying those treasures.

 Needless to say, I'm not trying my luck with this kind of gambling again. Even feeding my money to the Paradox DLC machine would've been a better investment.

 I know I promised a post detailing the searing stuff that's gone on during my pocket of inactivity, and it should come shortly, probably tomorrow. Maybe today if I'm in an energetic mood.

 Moral of the story: Don't be a spoiled brat with too much disposable income and absolutely detached parents lads.



___

 * - Thanks, George Bush

No comments:

Post a Comment